Monday, April 12, 2010

Twelve Days Of Show House Past: 1998

Top photo is a nice summer shot of the 2010  St. Margaret's Hospital Guild's Decorator's Show House .  As much as I would love to, I will show you no more of this beautiful historic home...you must come and see it for yourself when it opens April 24th.  Instead, I will be pulling some photos from the archives to show some of the work that I have done on Show House' past.

The first year that I designed an area for St. Margaret's , was in the first of three Officers homes at Fort Benjamin Harrison shown that year. I did two (two?) three story staircases and landings....whew!  What was I thinking?  Oh, I remember, I was thinking it would be a great way to show two totally different ideas of decorative finishes in one home.

The front staircase featured a formal, very subtle textured five layer finish that took several days for myself and three helpers to complete, working around the clock...oh to be young again!  Show House always has two staircases, and one of them must be open at all times.  In this home I has scaffolding in both, hence the long hours on this finish.  I have since done this finish in many colors, in many homes, so turns out to have been a good choice to showcase.


This is a photo of a built in china cupboard in the 1907 Federal style home's Kitchen.  An aged cream clear crackle finish with green trim was chosen for this vintage cabinet. I was hired by the kitchen designer to finish this cabinet, after she saw the armoire I had done for the back staircase...



More tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment